5.30.2009

How do you like them apples?

Apples
I was told, not too long ago, that processed foods are not so great on the body, especially for someone dealing with chronic pain.  You see, I injured my back in a car accident 10 years ago, and despite a very successful surgery, I've been weaker than I once was.  A few years ago, I injured my back again - this time my thoracic spine (SO - don't EVER feel the need to separate two male teens that are twice your size when they are duking it out).  ANYway, one of my many physical therapists (an aquatherapist, actually), made me promise to not eat processed foods for six months - informing me of all the bad things in processed food that act as inflammatory agents.  I must confess, I didn't make it six months.  But this new information awoke within me a desire to eat better, not just for me and my health, but for my husband and our future family as well.  As with any goal, it is easier met with higher motivation when you have a partner that spurns you on.  My partner, my husband, my best friend seems to have been born with a deep aversion to all foods healthy.  I actually asked him earlier "if I start making healthier food - and that's all you can eat, you'll eat it, right?"  His response was less than encouraging.  "I don't know....I guess."  Hmmm....  So it is here that I embark on this journey to eating healthier, with my partner in tow, showing him that there ARE healthy options out there that are *gasp* tasty and filling.  And perhaps....just perhaps....I'll get him to pick up an apple (or some other wonderful whole food) when he wants a snack, instead of resorting to something that is processed beyond any amount of sanity.  Wish us luck....  Signing off....

1 comment:

glitzen said...

Good luck! I know the difficulty, I am married to Mr "Icecream and cookies every night" myself. I don't ever join him, but wish he was a bit more health-conscious. :)