10.19.2013

"It builds character..."

As I sit here, sicky sick *again*, I hear my dad's voice in my head saying that all I need is a good hot toddy.  Realizing I don't have any whiskey.  Or rum.  Or whatever alcohol you use to make said hot toddy (so I used vanilla with Madagascar Vanilla Tea and no lemon...which means it's basically a cup of tea with honey and vanilla...) I fondly recall many of the Dad-isms we Nugents have heard over the years.

My favorite: "It builds character."  Applicable to...anything.  At any time.  Love it.  Use it.

Aforementioned: "Have a hot toddy."  Usually just for when you're sick, but I've heard it at other times too...  ;)

When learning to ride a horse: "Don't fall off."  Also good for other things in life.  Used this too.

When dropping anything necessary for whatever project you're working on: "Son-of-a!" Leave the rest for the imagination.

At dinner: "You'll eat it, and you'll LIKE it!"  Use this too.

The token: "Go ask your mother."  Still gets used when we visit.

And of course: "Don't make me come back there!"  Worked not only in the car but in the home as well.  :)

My dad also taught me to leave things nicer than how I found them, to mean what I say, to keep my word, to check the fluids in my car, to stick to my guns, that family comes first, and to love unconditionally.
I love you, Dad.

No comments: